With the holidays right around the corner, I thought it would be a good time to thinking of some festive recipes. I have been trying to consume more coconut oil recently, so I wanted to incorporate that into the recipe. I decided to make some peppermint patty truffles and share the recipe with you all!
Growing up, York Peppermint Patties were one of my favorite candies. My great grandma would always have them sitting in a candy dish on her counter and my sister and I would each get a couple every time we would visit. Even in college, they were one of my favorite treats. Like most traditional candies, peppermint patties are full of high fructose corn syrup and artificial flavoring, so I opt to make my own where I can control the ingredients.
These peppermint patty truffles only consist of 4 ingredients: coconut oil, honey, peppermint extract and dark chocolate chips. Health benefits of coconut oil include: hair care, skin care, stress relief, cholesterol level maintenance, weight loss, boosted immune system, proper digestion and regulated metabolism. Here are more health benefits of coconut oil and why I try to consume it on a daily basis.
Now topping my homemade candy with traditional candy (candy canes) is not something I normally do as they have artificial flavoring, coloring and high fructose corn syrup, but it does give it a festive look and feel, so you can choose to omit this if you want or substitute with a topping of your choice.
Here is the peppermint patty truffle recipe!
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ tsp peppermint extract
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 2 candy canes, crushed
- Combine coconut oil, honey and peppermint extract in a bowl. Mash until well-mixed.
- If mixture is not easy to form into balls, then put in the freezer briefly.
- Scoop out 1.5 to 2 tsp of mixture and form into balls.
- Place in the freezer while melting chocolate in a separate bowl over the stove.
- Let chocolate cool a little bit.
- Dip the frozen balls into the chocolate, sprinkle with candy cane topping. Let cool.
Did you enjoy this post? If so, help us produce more of them! We put a lot of work into bringing you the best content possible. Learn how you can support our blog here, without spending a dime!
Latest posts by Alyssa (see all)
- 7 Common Sense Hacks for Staying Cool When Working in the Heat - July 16, 2017
- Adding the Best Laser Level to Our Toolbox - July 15, 2017
- Installing Air Conditioning in Our RV - July 14, 2017