If you are enjoying our blog and the information we are sharing, then we would be grateful if you could support us! We aren’t asking for a dime of your money, but there are many ways you can support our blog. By showing support, you can help us spread this journey and message to others that are looking to make the transition from cubicle to homesteading, and help others learn from our experiences!
What Maintaining Our Blog Entails
For any of you that are curious, we spend A LOT of time on this blog! Our motivation for doing it is in hopes we can help others bridge the gap from cubicle life to homesteading, as this has not been an easy transition for us. Here is an overview of how long various tasks take for the blog, and if you add them up, maintaining our blog is easily a part-time to full-time job!
- Filming video (2-8 hours / each): between starting and stopping work, finding the clips we need, and stopping work to talk about what we’re doing at various points in our journey.
- Editing video (2-4 hours / each): After we get the footage we need, we need to drop the clips into Adobe Premiere Pro ($50/month membership) to turn them into a video you would want to watch. This is usually done late at night after our work on the homestead is done for the day.
- Uploading video and preparing for YouTube (1 hour / each): Once we hit “upload”, we still aren’t done. There is a handful of work to be done to ensure we get the maximum amount of mileage out of our videos!
- Writing a blog post (3-8 hours / each): We write each blog post with our readers in mind and try to educate as much as possible. We try to make each post easy to follow, engaging and entertaining. This takes a lot of time between multiple revisions, editing photos and more.
- Publishing each post to social media (2 hr / each): We have various channels where we share our content but getting content “shareable” takes additional effort between writing post snippets, providing video, sharing individually to channels, and more.
- Responding to comments and emails (5 hours /week): We don’t respond to blog and social media comments because we have to, but because we want to engage with you all! While we love doing it, it does take a significant amount of time!
- Site maintenance (10 hours / month): As you know, there are more spammers than ever before on the internet! We constantly have to maintain our blog, keep it updated, and keep it virus-free. There is always a problem that needs attention.
Financial Cost of Our Blog
While Pure Living for Life takes a significant amount of time to properly document our journey, it also has some cash expenses as well. Here is roughly what we’ve spent once or on an ongoing basis to keep our blog running!
- Nikon D5200 Camera ($500): This camera allows us to take professional-quality video which is a great basis for producing great video!
- GoPro Camera ($300): This doubles as both a water-proof camera as well as a backup camera in case camera #1 fails.
- Camera accessories ($500): This includes tripods, external microphones, batteries, SD cards, backpacks, etc.
- Hosting ($100.00/month): Our audience is growing so rapidly (Thanks guys… for real!) that we are continuously upping our hosting plan! Every visitor takes up bandwidth, so the more users we get, the larger bandwidth package we need. We frequently get slapped on the hand by our hosting company for blowing over our hosting plan.
- Access to royalty-free music ($100/year): We have a subscription to a site that provides royalty-free music for us to use in our videos. This is one way we can keep our videos just a little more interesting and fun.
- Domain name ($13/year): This is for the name purelivingforlife.com.
- Staying in touch by email ($150/month): Many of you are subscribed to receive our email updates. Believe it or not, Facebook tries to force pages into paid advertising so they really don’t show our updates to many people! Email is the most reliable form of providing updates to our followers! Also, a number of our followers aren’t on social media so this is their preferred method of communication.
- Adobe Creative Suite ($50/month): We use Adobe Photoshop to edit all of our photographs and Adobe Premiere Pro to edit and render all of our videos that are then uploaded to YouTube.
- External hard drive ($100): We have so much video footage collected throughout our journey that we reference in all of our videos, and it’s critical that we don’t lose it! Since we would fill up our Macbook Pros in a heartbeat with all of our footage and video files, we rely on an external hard drive to store things for us. Ideally, we would have more than one so we have a backup.
- Wish list / upcoming expenses: As our following grows, so will our monthly expenses such as hosting and email communications. We need a backup storage solution because in one hard drive failure, all of our footage ever taken could be erased! Our primary camera is also quite buggy so we’re hoping to add a better camera to our collection as funds allow. To keep the quality of our videos up, we really can’t rely on our iPhones.
Ways You Can Help Support Our Blog
Share, Follow & Contribute
One of the easiest ways to support our blog is simply by sharing our content. First and foremost, our goal is to spread our content far and wide in hopes it will reach numerous people that are interested in embarking on similar journeys. You will find social media icons on every post that you can click to share our posts on most any social media channel. Great places to share our blog is on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest, email, over coffee or wherever your friends are!
See those buttons to the left of every post (desktop only… if you’re on a phone, they should be at the bottom of the screen)? That’s the easiest way to accomplish this task!
Shop through our link on Amazon.com
While we are working on transitioning away from the need of money, we still need money for a lot of things on the homestead, including the financial overhead of this blog. By shopping through this link (or the badge below), we will receive a small commission (4-6%) for our efforts on the blog… great way to support bloggers when doing your holiday shopping! This doesn’t cost any extra to you… your Amazon order will cost exactly the same but we simply get a small kick back to our blog which is extremely helpful.
If you’re in the UK use this link.
If you’re in Canada use this link.
- Click on this link . It will open in a new window and it will simply look like the homepage of Amazon, but there will be a unique tracking code that is associated with our site!
- Press Ctrl + D (Command + D on Mac) on your keyboard to bookmark the link. Name it something like “Amazon – Pure Living for Life Blog”
- Any time you go to Amazon to make a purchase, access Amazon through that link and we should receive a commission on your order at no additional cost to you.
Make a donation
While we don’t wish to rely on money from our subscribers, if you love our blog content and find it genuinely helpful and interesting, feel free to donate if that’s your preferred method of showing support! All proceeds will go to either growing our blog or growing our homestead. The email address to send the tip to in PayPal is email@example.com.